Saturday, November 8, 2008

Elmina






Elmina is the largest and oldest slave fort ever built. In fact, it is the oldest sub-saharan European structure being built in the 15th century. There are many good photos of the city and the surrounds I cannot wait to show everyone. The castle is surrounded by a beautiful fishing village. I saw how they have harvested salt for thousands of years, and still do today. There is a fort built to protect the castle on a hill which can be seen in the first picture. The only residents remaining in the castle ar emany bats (3rd photo). I found out that Europeans did very little gathering of slaves. The local Africans traded slaves to the Europeans in the Castle for goods like rum and weapons.
I will post photos of Cape Coast and Kakum National park later on. I saw what most people spend 3 days to see in one day, literally. I am just like dad in that respect. Everyone else was taking there time and enjoying themselves while I was a madman on a mission. I saw the stilt village, Elmina, Cape Coast and the National park in two days. Most my time was spent on a tro-tro though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DUDE! I am so damn jealous! i had no idea about your blog until your email you sent. Lookin great homey, just hoping your bathing in bleach every night! Def proud of you to man, looks like you are really making a difference out there! Take it easy and keep in touch more often than 8 mos later!
Keep Sanitary Brother,
JB