Sunday, November 9, 2008

Cape Coast






These are pictures of Cape Coast. The Cape Coast Castle (appropriately named) is very nice and the best maintained historic site in Ghana. Many slaves traveled through this fort until the early 18th century when England abolished the slave trade. Interestingly, England abolished the slave trade within one year of America not allowing the arrival of new slaves. Cause or effect? The last picture is of Fort Victoria which was built to protect the castle from a land invasion. I could not smile in too many pictures because in our group was about 30 locals and the tour guide was discussing the conditions of the slaves in the fort. Many people were making comments about the "white men", though they were not directed at me. Awkward.
The history aside, I had a good time simply by the fact that I didn't miss anything. I met many travels that were here for a couple weeks and went to only two cities. They may have enjoyed their vacations more than I did. I cannot imagine doing that! I enjoy myself at home. I wanna see it all!!!
Europeans travel much more than Americans I believe. You may say that I am only meeting travelers. Yet out of the 100 or so travelers I have met 2 Americans. I know Europe is closer to Africa. The Americans like me had never traveled anywhere really out of the country either. Most of these Europeans are globe trotters. They go to South America, Africa, Asia. They explained there weather is bad and have to travel. It is true that America is large and offers any type of climate one desires. The Eurpopeans however could go to Spain for warm beaches (though not in the winter I guess). When talking to them, it seems that anyone who can afford to take a year off between high school and "uni" (university in England) goes globe trotting. I wonder why Americans are so bad at geography at desire so little traveling experiences? All that being said, I love my country more than ever before. Arguing with all these Europeans about how great my country really is has made me appreciate that fact.

No comments: