Monday, October 6, 2008

My house

My house is interesting.
There is an adopted girl who stays with us. At first I thought they were so kind and caring. Wrong. She is the slave girl. She sweeps the entire house and yard every morning. Does every bit of laundry and all the dishes. I am allowed to take the son to town and the falls but she is always "too busy" according to the family. She eats in the kitchen on a stool while the rest of the family eats on the couch in front of the television. All kids are hit with rods across the head here for the slightest thing. My host family's son of 4 gave me a juice drink that was meant for his lunches. He was pretty savagely beaten and put in his room. They yelled at him things which of course I do not understand. The men do nothing and are cared for hand and foot while the women toil away here (at my house the women means the young girl). She is only 8 and it breaks my heart. The only solace is I have visited the orphanages with volunteers who work there and she is certainly better off. How unfortunate that statement is. Men are domineering sexist. At work during surgery the doctors flirt with the nurses and female doctors. I have talked with the boys with the best of them. Yet these guys make it even filthier than I can stomach. Most women are mere objects. More on the society here later and especially work!
P.S. I am to the point where I will not take the little boy without Akus (the servant girl) anywhere. It is my main goal while at home to give her as much happiness and attention as possible. Simply the state of affairs make me slightly indifferent to the son, even though I know it is of no fault of his.

No comments: