Monday, October 6, 2008

Hello

Well, I'll try and write everything.
The countryside is very beautiful. The land is extremely abundant and anything grows well. There are vast amounts of waterfalls all over the country due to the large amounts of rainfall and hilly terrain. The fruit taste as good and fresh as I have ever had. The feel is of a rainforest one might imagine from images seen back home. The cities are festering cesspools however. Everyone throws their trash were ever they are. The locals tell me to just throw my trash on the ground and even the shopkeeps will not take back the plastic bottle you just bought from them. No one has any sense of keeping the area they live in clean. I could understand if it was only the streets but they do it in front of their own yards and neighborhoods. Raw sewage flows through the gutters and into the streams and oceans. At any major city on the beach waste flows every 20 yards or so into the water. The ocean here is black for fifty yards out due to all the waste. Everyone goes to the bathroom on the beach and people who live above the cliffs on the beach heave their trash into the water.
My job is still wonderful. I get to do an immense amount of hands on surgery. I only assist but I scrub up for amputations, appendectomies, etc.. I have learned and seen more at this job then I could have in years. The doctors are questionable however. The other day a young man was being sewed up and the peritoneum (lining of the abdominal cavity) busted open in a 4 inch gash. To my shock the doctor, and I qoute, said "fuck it". He then proceeded to sew the muscles and skin shut.
I will post this and write more as it is thundering and the internet goes out all the time!!!
I have been waiting for 30 minutes to download pictures, maybe next time.....

No comments: